With spring approaching soon, it's a great opportunity to take the time and make a list of things to do around your home to prepare for the change in the season.
1. Deep-Clean Your Entryway
With the winter weather comes snow, salt, and winter gear. When the last snow falls it's a great opportunity to tidy up and do a deep-clean of your entryway to be ready for spring! Give your floors, baseboards, and rugs a good cleaning to feel refreshed.
2. Check your pipes for leaks
If you live in a colder climate pipes can freeze. So if you are able to access your pipes easily it's a good idea to check them for any leaks or cracks. If your water ever stopped or trickled out of the tap, than the pipes may have frozen, so it would be a good idea to call a professional to have them check everything.
3. Wash interior and exterior windows
When the weather starts warming up I always take the time to clean my windows to make my place feel refreshed! Plus when the sun shines through the windows it's nice to see them clean!
4. Make a plan for spring cleaning
What are some cleaning or de-cluttering projects you've been putting off? Spring is the perfect time to tackle them! With the warmer weather you can open the windows and fill your place with fresh air!
With winter storms still in full swing, now is a great opportunity to prepare yourself and your home for any power outages or extreme winter weather! "The Federal Emergency Management Agency recommends having these items on hand, especially if you want to prepare for being a home several days without power."
1. Make Sure You Have Emergency Supplies
- Snow Shovels and Deicers
- Extra fuel, firewood, full propane tank, or generator
- Clean blankets and clothing
- Water and food that does not require refrigeration
- Medication and any special items for members of the household
- Pet food
- Soap, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, and cleaning supplies
2. Make an Emergency Supply Kit
- Non-perishable food
- Battery-powered radio
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Dust mask
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties
- Wrench or pliers
- Manual can opener
- Local maps
- Fully charged backup battery for cell phone
3. Take Steps to Winterize Your Home
- Check roof tiles, shutters, siding, and other exterior materials
- Make sure gutters are clear
- Seal air leaks around the home
- Insulate all exposed plumbing pipes
- Trim tree branches away from your roof
Now, when a snow storm hits you can get cozy in a blanket knowing you're prepared for anything!
While we are in the season of giving thanks, it serves as a good reminder why we should be thankful to be homeowners. It’s not just about having a roof over your head – a home provides shelter, wealth, stability & pride. Below are just some of the many financial and non-financial benefits.
- The avg. homeowner’s net worth is 40x greater than a renter’s. (Nat’l Assoc. of Realtors Report released in 2023)
- Rent prices in NH increased 11.4% over last year. A fixed mortgage provides the stability of knowing your payments won’t go up.
- You can build home equity which can then later be used to start a business, pay college tuition, or help buy a vacation property.
- Homeowners tend to be more involved in their community.
- Home ownership provides a sense of accomplishment & control over your environment. This also impacts children as studies show they have less behavioral problems and perform better in school.
If owning a home is part of your American dream, then contact me to help you start the process!
Donna Forest(603) 731-5151
Follow her on Facebook
Welcome Your Guests with Pink Pineapples
When you’ve traveled down Main Street in New London, you’ve noticed our seasonal BHG Milestone Team daily flags! It’s a BHG Milestone Team favorite – and we have some special Pineapple Welcome flags. Did you know the pineapple is the worldwide symbol of hospitality? In Colonial times, the pineapple was treasured and rare – and extremely difficult to cultivate. So, the pineapple became a fruit for the wealthy only. In fact, a George Washington-era pineapple would cost up to $8,000!!! (That’s $280,000 in today’s money!) The scarcity and price made pineapples the perfect choice to serve honored guests – and became a symbol of welcome and reference for visitors. Today, we can celebrate with pineapples of all colors – like the Pinkglow® Pineapple! When you see our pineapple flag, come on in for a visit as an honored BHG Milestone Team guest!
#bhgmilestoneteam #bhgmilestone #bestteamintown #bhg #realtor
Photo courtesy of DelMonte.
Is Owning a Home a Good Investment?
- Long-term financial growth. Real estate appreciates!
- Building equity. From your downpayment to your mortgage payments (minus fees and interest), each dime adds to your home’s equity.
- Income tax advantages. The sale of your primary residence allows you (in most cases) to avoid tax on your profit ($250,000 for an individual; $500,000 for a couple).
- Additional itemized deductions. If you itemize your taxes, you can deduct property tax, some closing fees (like points), and mortgage interest!
- Fixed monthly payments. Your rent might (will) increase – but your mortgage payment is fixed.
- Improved credit score. Pay on time and reap the benefit!
- Your space – your castle. When you own your home, you can remodel and decorate any way you desire!
- Your sanctuary. Your home is your private sanctuary. It’s all yours!
#bhgmilestoneteam #bhgmilestone #bestteamintown #bhg #realtor
Photo courtesy of Pantone
Meet Viva Magenta 18-1750, Pantone's color for 2023. This “nuanced crimson red tone” is “dynamic without being aggressive or overpowering.” Whether you choose to use Viva Magenta for a statement wall in your home or as a splash of color for a vase or place setting, expect compliments! Other decorating colors favored for 2023: Spanish Moss (Krylon), Raspberry Blush (Benjamin Moore), Terra Rosa (Dunn-Edwards), Redend Point (Sherwin-Williams), and Vining Ivy (Glidden). For those of us who prefer neutrals, 2023 brings us Blank Canvas (Behr) and Rustic Greige (Dutch Boy) . Valspar has chosen 12 versatile “livable” paint colors, including Southern Road and Gentle Violet. Better Homes & Gardens (at Walmart) has chosen Canyon Ridge as its color for 2023. We think it’s a perfect chose to freshen your kitchen – or even your living room!
Feel free to contact us and one of our Milestone Team members will explore ways to make your home market-ready!
Image courtesy of Herb Garden Designs